There is no need for you to send identifying information (driver’s license, passport, etc.) when converting to other currencies. Unlike many of the other competing cryptocurrency platforms that offer conversions, there is no cap on the amount that you can change. This makes the site suitable for an international clientele. There are no places known where the service cannot be used, regardless of where you reside.
Notoriety and use of the site have grown considerably. They maintain a large customer base and process hundreds of thousands of transactions on a daily basis. There are dozens of altcoins available to sell and trade. Exchange rates are not too high, and security is top notch. The site layout is fairly easy to navigate for both first-time and advanced users.
What To Know Before You Use
When you are ready to go through with your first transaction, Changelly will provide you with a wallet and whatever cryptocurrency you would like to use. Their algorithms will display the platform that has the best rate. The money will then be changed into the crypto that you initially picked. After that, you must pay a fee that totals to 0.5 percent of the total sum. The transaction ends with your new currency being sent to into another wallet.
To assist you in finding good rates, Changelly has a built-in AI feature that is placed on the website. It can quickly seek and create bids where those with the best value are calculated and disclosed on the screen. Keep in mind that rates are estimated during this period and will remain so until it is received in the blockchain (the actual amount that you end up with could be higher or lower but usually not by a wide margin).
The Charges You Will Pay For The Service
Cryptocurrency has a reputation for being volatile, with rates that are susceptible to unpredictable and sometimes great fluctuations. This can occur quickly and unexpectedly. It is also the reason why Changelly relies on the rate being the same, regardless of a platform’s volatility. As a result, customers do have had the burden of worrying over hidden fees.
There are however fees associated with Blockchain which are sent to miners so that the transactions can be handled. Higher fees during these transactions can sometimes be more expensive than it would be if you simply went to the auxiliary exchanges associated with Changelly. The service is therefore most recommended for those who are just beginning to learn to ropes of cryptocurrency since many of Changelly’s competitors have web interfaces that are typically confusing and more selective in regards to the location from which users live.
With this being said, let’s encapsulate all of the fees associated with Changelly:
- For exchanges that are exclusive to cryptocurrencies, a 0.5 percent fee is required.
- Debit and credit card transactions are processed at fees of 5 percent. Furthermore, a 5 percent commission is required on top of the initial card fee.
Cryptocurrencies Accepted By Changelly
Changelly supports approximately 114 cryptocurrencies while maintaining a list of the name and description of each platform that is claimed to be available with their services. Like all crypto-exchange services, the availability of any particular coin is always subject to change. However, Changelly does a good job at keeping customers aware of any impending updates to their roster of digital currency.
Here is a short list of some of the most popular currencies exchanged on Changelly and how they perform on the website:
- Litecoin (LTC) – Litecoin is in many ways similar to Bitcoin but can be mined easier and cheaper than the original cryptocurrency. If you need to convert your Bitcoins into Bitcoin, Changelly is one of the quickest platforms around to achieve this.
- Bitcoin (BTC) – Invented by a mysterious man named Satoshi Nakamoto, Bitcoin, or BTC, is the driving force behind the ever-expanding popularity of cryptocurrency. It is decentralized and extensively mined by investors and novice traders around the world. Changelly can convert U.S. dollars into Bitcoin using debit or credit card.
- Dogecoin (DOGE) – What started off as a lighthearted parody of BTC, Dogecoin hastily moved up the ranks into a serious contender for crypto traders. In the past, Changelly has had minor issues with users not being able to confirm their transactions with the site when converting BTC to DOGE, even after confirmation on the Blockchain. Changelly has worked to improve these setbacks and now has fewer problems with Dogecoin to worry about.
- Dash (DASH) – Dash started off as one of the first anonymous cryptocurrencies and was originally known as Darkcoin. With Dash, transactions go through a mixer or cloud-based service that amalgamates coins in a way that makes them difficult to know exactly what wallet they are placed in. While Changelly offers quick conversions to Dash, you should be aware that using a credit or debit card takes away the anonymity of using the crypto in the first place.
- Ripple (XRP) – Ripple XRP is a cryptocurrency that is headquartered in San Francisco. Being that it is centralized, some financial institutions have begun to use the currency to speed up their own transactions. With the inability to be mined, it is often described as being extremely volatile, even more so than BTC and Ethereum. It is one of the primary currencies available on Changelly.
One positive aspect of using Changelly is that there is no requirement for you to make an account to convert coins. As previously stated, many exchanges require that users submit personal documents in order for the service to be used accordingly. Since this is not necessary with Changelly, the only thing needed is a wallet. If you decide to use your credit or debit card to buy crypto, you must enter your full name and address to ensure that the payment will be accepted. If privacy is a concern for you, it is advised that only conversions using cryptocurrency on both ends be done on the site.
What To Do When You’re Ready To Buy
- The steps you must take to buy cryptocurrency on Changelly is straightforward and easy. This is assuming that you have already entered an email address, which would require you to go to the “Sign Up” option on the upper right-hand corner of the site’s home screen. Bear in mind that transactions cannot be undone once they are completed. Know the differences between the cryptocurrencies you are switching to as some are more susceptible to price fluctuations than others.
- When you’re on the website, look at the white box on the center-left hand side. There should be the words “you have” shown next to the amount of crypto you wish to purchase. The options are set to “1” and “BTC” by default. This is where you will choose your currency and how much you wish to acquire.
- By clicking the BTC tab, a drop-down list showing all of the different currencies will appear. Once you have chosen your coin, go to the other side and pick what crypto you wish to receive. Then click on the “Exchange” button.
- On the next screen is where you should check the amount of crypto you entered and what you will collect. You can also view the exchange rate and fee/time estimates. Once everything is confirmed, click Next.
- Copy and paste the wallet address of the receiving cryptocurrency. Depending on what platform you use, other options may appear on this step. For example, if you want to receive Ripple’s XRP, you have to choice of using destination tags as another layer of security. In most cases, this will not be necessary, however. The next page that appears will allow you to check the QR code and wallet address of the currency you want to receive.
- If you have a smartphone that has an application with the wallet address information, you can scan the QR code. Alternatively, you can copy and paste your address in the field. When the money is received by Changelly, the funds will immediately be sent to the address that you submitted on the website.
- The status of the transfer can be viewed by going to “My account” and clicking the History option that appears. When it is finished, you will be notified on site and via email. The amount of time for conversions to complete typically take five to 10 minutes. On some occasions, you may end up waiting about 30 minutes for transactions to finalize. During periods of heavy network traffic, it could take slightly longer yet this issue does not occur very often. Proof of purchase will then be sent by displaying the TX hash to authenticate the conversion.
Debit or Credit? No Problem
If you choose to use plastic to fund a crypto wallet, remember than Changelly accepts cards that are able to purchase items sold in Euro and U.S. Dollars. There are no restrictions placed on the country in which the card originates. Furthermore, not all currency platforms can be used with credit and debit cards (this does not apply to the most popular platforms).
You must have phone verification services featured with your card in order for it to be used on Changelly. If you’re not sure, contact your issuing bank or credit card company and ask a representative if your card has 3d Secure authentication. Card purchases are limited to buying only Bitcoin, Ethereum, and Bitcoin Cash (BTC, ETH, BCH).
How To Purchase Coins With Your Card
- Starting from the Changelly homepage again, click the “Buy Bitcoin with Credit Card” option that is on the bottom-left of the page. Then pick either USD or EUR as the currency you will use to buy. Type in the sum you wish to exchange.
- On the right side, click the crypto you want to receive. It is again set to BTC as a default option. Copy and paste your wallet address in the box immediately underneath the receiving indicator. Check the amount that you are estimated to receive, along with the exchange rates. Then click Continue.
- Changelly has partnered with Simplex to handle card purchases. Some cards are set limits to the amount that can be purchased for the time. If the next menu shows a cap to how much you can buy, select the appropriate sum and continue.
- The next pages are where you will fill in your billing information. After that, you will be prompted for your email address and phone number. The number must be the same as what you provided to the issuing bank when you set up the card. When you receive the code to your phone, type it into the box that is shown. Then click Continue.
- After filling in card details, a verification page will require you to take a selfie while holding your card. Be sure to cover the middle eight digits of your card while leaving the first and last four digits visible. The name and expiration date on the card should be shown as well. To avoid having your photo rejected, make sure that you take the picture in an area with proper lighting. Nether your face or the card should appear blurred. You may need to turn off your smartphone’s autofocus to achieve this.
- Click Upload Selfie when finished. The verification lasts anywhere from five to 30 minutes to complete. Your cryptocurrency will appear in your wallet once Simplex confirms your identity.
More Information About Card Purchases
Since limits are stipulated on the beginning transactions of debit card purchases, you will not be able to exceed $50 when initially using the site for the first time. However, the limit rises every time that a successful purchase is completed. Changelly isn’t the only exchange that has implemented this sort of rule for first time buyers. It is a security feature that helps to reduce the likelihood of money laundering and theft. If you have made at least three purchases and find that the site is forcing you to wait, do not worry. You will be able to buy again after seven days have passed. In one-to-two weeks from your first payment, you will have a limit of $500.
For people residing in Western and Central Europe, the beginning limit is $100 with a weekly maximum commencing of six transactions. Eastern European nations can purchase $200 during the onset and have a purchasing cap set at $2000 with the option of going even higher after a month has passed.
Periods of Unavailability
Sometimes, Changelly will go down due to reasons discussed previously, such as heavy usage of Blockchain. Other reasons could be that the site simply needs to update their coin availability. If this happens, Changelly staff will notify you on the website, through social media, or in an email message. The delay will not cancel any transactions and your money will go through when everything is back to normal.
Where To Go For Help
If you have any issues with Changelly that are not available in the FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) section of the site, you can shoot them a message by going to the homepage. Scroll to the bottom of the screen and click Support under the Help and Support option. An on-site window will appear for you to type in your email address and details concerning your need of help. It typically will take about 24 hours to get a follow-up answer but possibly longer on weekends and holidays.
Advertise For Changelly
Changelly also has an affiliate program available to all users. Signing up with the website automatically allows you access to your own referral code. When someone signs up to Changelly using your code, you will receive half of the commission fees that are generated on their transactions for as long as they use the website. All of the funds can be deposited into either your BTC or ETH wallets. If you have a website of your own, you can use widgets to add links for your visitors to click. To do so, go to the Affiliate Program link on the top of the home page and then click Customizable Widget. From there, you can alter the banner’s layout and get the source code in HTML.
The Pros and Cons of Changelly
As with all cryptocurrency exchanges, Changelly is not perfect but does have lots of neat features that can help users quickly get the coins they want in a short amount of time. Here are some of the key benefits and disadvantages of using the service.
- Easy to use interface. Changelly’s layout is simple to use for people with even the most basic understanding of cryptocurrency. In fact, it is a great tool to aid beginners in understanding the main functions that must be undertaken to successfully convert and buy coins. For those who lack the understanding to use more complicated exchanges, Changelly is one of the best sites on the internet to gain knowledge of cryptocurrencies.
- The website allows credit card payments from customers from anywhere in the world. All major financial services such as MasterCard, American Express, and Visa are accepted.
- Transfer fees are lower than many of Changelly’s competitors. Instead of relying upon network charges that are based on a particular cryptocurrency, a 0.5 percent fee for all coins is utilized.
- As with most exchanges, login security is acceptable with two-factor authentication, or 2FA. For users who do not want to give their phone numbers to the account, Google has an authenticating software that can be used as an alternative to receiving a text message.
- Customer service is usually fast and efficient, as is communicating with their customers. While the waiting periods can generally last up to one day, some users have had their problems solved almost immediately.
- Compatible with other software. Changelly’s affiliate program is highly rewarding, especially for users that receive lots of traffic to their personal website.
- Limited sending features. Cryptocurrencies on Changelly cannot be converted alongside other exchange platforms. This means that coins such as Litecoin and Bitcoin can be traded only in your Changelly account.
- Payments-based organizations such as Payoneer, PayPal, and Skrill cannot be used to purchase coins on Changelly. This is mostly due to the website not verifying users when converting crypto-to-crypto. Regardless, other exchanges are quickly increasing their use by becoming more acceptable to other alternative methods of payment.
- Verification needed in order to use debit and/or credit. This verification process typically requires users to send personal details such as a photo or photo identification.
- Transaction limits on card purchases. While Changelly certainly isn’t the only site to have this setback, a small sum of $50 may not be enough for some customers that need to quickly convert crypto in the span of less than a day. For these users, a peer-to-peer exchange where individuals conduct their own trade-offs could be frequented instead, particularly for beginners that want to add a large sum of money without repeat purchases.
- Bank restrictions. Some financial institutions have outright denied people from purchasing cryptocurrency with their cards. This means that Changelly will not be available to those who are customers with banks that block their transactions.
Is Changelly Safe?
The website receives millions of visitors from customers every month. On top of that, it often is recommended by advanced users to help others that have started their journey into the world of cryptocurrency. Beginning users should understand the risks associated with buying coins and never purchase large sums too early if they do not feel confident in knowing how digital currency operates.
While Changelly is generally trusted, there have been reports of users having to wait several days for large sums to show up in their wallets. It is recommended that you keep the bulk of your crypto-funds on a separate wallet that can only be accessed via flash drive. However, Changelly is unable to store your money and you must send it to wallets that are more secure when you’re finished using the service.
Changelly is sure to be a successful exchange platform for a long time. It allows you to have all of the necessary features of other advanced exchanges without the burden of having to navigate through oftentimes confusing menu options. This streamlines the process by helping you to focus on getting the right coins that you need quickly and efficiently. With a large database of cryptocurrencies to choose from, the coin that you need is sure to be featured as an available option to acquire on the website itself.
While there is room for improvement, the website has come a long way since it beginnings and past annoyances are becoming fewer as its reputation continues to increase with its popularity among traders. The fees are low enough to attract even some advanced users. Overall, it is easy to understand why many would use Changelly as their go-to source for cryptocurrency conversions and purchases.